Friday, January 21, 2011

A Question for Publishers

I am working with OverDrive to setup my library to provide ebooks, eaudiobooks, and other einformation. While working with one of their techs I learned that because of contract restrictions imposed by some publishers only people who live in my funding area may download titles from those publishers. This sounds logical because a publisher does not want to sell (I emphasize the word sell) their product to a library (customer) and have the library (customer) put it out for the whole world. However, what the publisher has not thought about is that some of my customers (and therefor theirs) do not live within my "funding area." They pay me a fee equivalent to what I get in tax funding from the residents who do live in my funding area in order to use the library.

Now some publishers may say "so what". Here is the so what... That customer of mine is going to be upset! They are going to want to blame someone for not getting fair treatment. In order to not be the "bad guy" I am going to explain to them that it is because of the way the publisher requires that our contract be done that they cannot have what they want. I live next door to them and have watched over their children for years. My question to the publishers that write their contracts this way is; "Who are they going to be angry with?"

1 comment:

  1. More seriously is the idea that they are a library patron of yours (No matter who they get made at) and they have every right to every material you lend... The publishers are being dense and block-headed.

    ReplyDelete